Students in the upper elementary grades have the opportunity to join the Elementary Honor Choir. The choir meets before school on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 7:40. Students learn to sing in two and three-part harmony. They are taught to read choral scores as well as to identify piano versus vocal lines. Auditions are not required but will be used if necessary. Membership is limited at the discretion of the director. Additional fees apply.
Some typical activities of the choir include:
- Participation in the 2016 Spring I.S.D. Splashtown Choir Festival (Named Best in Class in 2014)
- Fall and Christmas joint concerts with the Middle School and High School Choir
- Participating in the Aldine ISD Children’s Choir Festival (Named Outstanding Choir in 2011 and 2012)
- Participating in the recording of the Northland Christian School Christmas CD
- Participating in the Goodwill Tours at Christmas where the children sing at various hospitals and nursing homes in the local community
- In the spring of 2013, the Honor Choir sang the national anthem at a home Astro's game
- Performed at Zoo Lights, the Houston Zoo's Christmas Lights Program
- Invited to perform at Houston Texans football game in August 2016
- More advanced than general music class.
- Close two-part harmony and reading choral scores are emphasized.
- The Honor Choir performs on various occasions for community and school functions.
- Practice sessions are before school hours.
Northland Christian School: Truth Forever • Victory Forever • Glorifying God Forever