You are here
March Counseling Center Update
Testing and Test Prep
2017-18 Anticipated Dates
- SAT: 10/7, 11/4, 12/2, 3/10, 5/5 and 6/2
- ACT: 9/9, 10/28, 12/9, 2/10, 4/14, 6/9 and 7/14
- One-day, on-campus review on March 25 is full, but you can join the waitlist.
- Online review in April
Method Test Prep will offer SAT and ACT Advantage Courses online. SAT starts March 7, and ACT starts March 8. Check MTP for free online resources as well.
Khan Academy offers free SAT and AP prep.
Some schools offer tours during spring break. Check school web sites for details.
- Baylor University: 4/8 (Premiere)
- Baylor Sic’em-ology for juniors and admitted seniors: 4/2 (Houston) and 4/3 (The Woodlands)
- Harding University: 4/13-16 (Bison Days/overnight)
- Oklahoma Christian University: 4/14 (Eagle for a Day)
- Oklahoma State University: 4/22 (Junior Day)
- Sam Houston State University: 4/8
- Southwestern University: 3/25 (Junior Showcase)
- University of Oklahoma: 4/29 (Sooner Saturday)
- University of Houston: 4/1 (Cougar Preview)
- University of South Florida—St. Petersburg: Spring Break tours daily at 10 and 2.
- University of Texas – San Antonio: 4/1 (UTSA Day)
- NACAC’s National College Fair will be in Houston April 13 at NRG.
Remember to check Naviance regularly for additional opportunities.
The deadline for the Buddy and Becky Ellisor Scholarship is May 1. This $500 award will be presented to an NCS senior. Applications are available in the Counselors’ Office.
The deadline for the NCS TEACH Scholarship is April 27. This $800 award will be given to one senior who has overcome personal or academic challenges and has demonstrated academic growth during high school. Applications are available in the Counselors’ Office.
The Positive Coaching Alliance Scholarship is open to high school junior athletes. Submit an essay about how you meet the standard defined in Elevating Your Game: Becoming a Triple-Impact Competitor by PCA Founder Jim Thompson. Deadline is May 31.
College Covered by Discover Student Loans will open its $2,500 scholarship sweepstakes on March 13. The site also offers a free scholarship search and financial aid advice.
This month’s Chegg Monthly Scholarship question: If you started a company, what would it be and why? Take two minutes to answer, and you could win $1,000.
Niche offers a monthly “No Essay” Scholarship drawing for $2,000. Open to high school students.
Summer Enrichment Opportunities
The Houston Zoo’s summer Camp Zoofari now includes camps for ages 13-16. Zoo Careers and Keeper Connection allow campers to explore what it’s like to work at a zoo.
The National WWII Museum in New Orleans offers a Student Leadership Academy for rising juniors and seniors. College credit is available.
The King’s College High School Summer Academy explores the development of New York City and either media and journalism, political economy or leadership. Registration deadline is May 15.
The NYU High School Academy Career Edge Program is open to current 9th-11th graders and offers a variety of career exploration topics.
Adelphi University’s Summer Pre-College program offers college credit in a variety of subject areas.
SummerFAB at the Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston is a four-week architecture program for rising 10th-12th graders. Students completing the program will be eligible for course credit and a scholarship if they attend Wentworth after high school graduation.
The Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY, offers a summer PreCollege art and design program for rising 10th-12th graders. College credit is available.
Baylor University offers a high school band and orchestra camp.
Operation Orange is a free, one-day mini medical camp for high school students. Participants will meet current OSU medical students and take part in hands-on demonstrations.