You are here
Northland Christian School welcomes international students to our high school. We issue I-20's for diploma-seeking students (F-1). Recent international students have attended NCS from Korea, Mexico, China, and Vietnam.
International Boarding Philosophy
- Northland Christian Homestay is a unique feature of our boarding program. We believe that international students living with American families creates a much better educational environment and provides more social and emotional support than an impersonal boarding dorm.
- Host families are carefully chosen by Northland Christian School after a background and reference check and personal interviews.
- Orientation and ongoing support is provided for both host families and international students.
Northland Christian School (NCS) was founded in 1974. NCS offers a traditional college preparatory curriculum and comprehensive co-curricular programs. The beautiful campus is located in northwest Houston which is one of the fastest growing areas of the fourth largest US city. Currently there are 330 elementary students and 350 secondary students enrolled.
- Students grow spiritually, intellectually, physically, and socially for the glory of God
- Students come to know Christ and walk in His ways
- Students maximize academic potential
- Students develop and care for their body
- Students understand their own worth and show respect and compassion for others
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Texas Private School Accreditation Commission Affiliations
- National Association of Christian Schools
- Texas Association of Non-Public Schools
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- International Society for Technology in Education
- Texas Association for College Admission Counseling
- Houston Area Independent Private Schools (HAIS)
- National Association of Christian Schools (NACS)
- Texas Association of Non-Public Schools
- Houston Association of Independent School Counselors
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools (TAPPS) conference. (NCS is one of twenty four 4A schools in the conference).
- Texas Computer Educators Association
- Texas Private School Music Educators Association
- 33% of faculty members have a graduate degree.
- Current faculty received degrees from 64 different universities.
- Chairmen of departments average teaching experience is 23 years.
NCS provides opportunities for students to experience the rich diversity of people, groups and cultures from all over the world. Our students have traveled to Italy, Spain, China, Peru, and Mexico. The growing international student population continues to expand the school’s global perspective.
- Guidance counselors meet individually with students to assist in the college admissions process.
- Naviance, a comprehensive college and career search program, is utilized by students throughout the college and career search process.
- SAT and ACT test preparation is available for all NCS students through Method Test Prep.
- 100% of graduating seniors are accepted at a college or university.
- 84% attend a four-year university; 16% attend a two-year university.
- Graduating seniors are awarded an average of $2.5 million dollars in scholarships (average for the last 5 years).
- NCS graduates attend various colleges and universities including recent enrollment at The University of Texas at Austin, Texas A&M University, Rice University, Vanderbilt University, Stanford University, Baylor University, University of Oklahoma, College of William and Mary, Colorado State University, Bentley University, Pepperdine University, and New York University.
- Students are given opportunities to visit multiple colleges and universities.
- NCS works with each student to select challenging courses to satisfy requirements for either a Recommended or Distinguished Achievement High School Diploma.
- Approximately 35% of students meet the advanced measures required to be awarded the Distinguished Achievement Program diploma.
- NCS requires 30 total credits for graduation, surpassing the State of Texas requirement of 26.
- Community service hours are required to enhance social and academic learning while developing character and citizenship skills. Students are encouraged to exceed the minimum requirement of 20 hours per year.
- NCS students are encouraged to enroll in Dual Credit, Honors, and Advanced Placement level courses in Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Computer Science, Debate, English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, Humanities, Physics, Spanish, Studio Art, and US History.
- Typically, 77% of seniors are enrolled in Advanced Placement and/or Dual Credit courses.
- Approximately 60% of AP students score a 3 or higher on their AP exam.
- Teacher to student ratio is 1:13.
- Average class size is 20.
Northland Christian School is a private, non-denominational, Christian school. NCS believes that students should develop in the four areas that are stated in our mission statement. Our students regularly come from 30-40 different Christian churches. Bible classes focusing on Christian history, worldview, and doctrine are attended by all of our students as well as a weekly chapel service. Our international students attend church with their host family.
Grades 6th-12th are situated on 33 acres which gives it the look and feel of a small college campus. Through the generosity of our donors, we have recently remodeled many of our buildings including all classrooms. The Science Building was renovated with state-of-the-art laboratories. Beautiful soccer, baseball, softball, and football fields, as well as a premier track and field running complex surround the campus. Nine additional acres of property were recently purchased for expansion.
Achievement is valued and excellence is encouraged through involvement in co-curricular activities. Students have the opportunity to use their God given gifts in the areas of academics, athletics, and fine arts. Students can use their academic talents through participation in debate and numerous academic competitions. Students who are gifted athletically can choose from 12 different sports. NCS Fine Arts programs are superior and offer students an environment in which they can thrive. Leadership opportunities are available through membership and participation in organizations such as the International Thespian Society, National Art Honor Society, National Forensic League, National Honor Society, and Student Council. We believe participation in our co-curricular programs offers students the opportunity to develop their whole person and enrich their educational journey.
Boarding Student Placement
The education of students at NCS is a partnership between the home and the school. Parents are highly involved in the education process. With this foundation, NCS offers a home stay program for our international students. Students have the opportunity to live with American families. Living with an American family 24/7 is an environment that fosters social and emotional growth. An added benefit is the enhancement of the international student’s English skills as they are surrounded by English speaking natives on a daily basis. Host families are carefully screened using background and reference checks. Families are interviewed, selected and then trained to meet the needs of each student. Special attention is given to ensure that each student is properly placed with a compatible host family.
Personal Growth for International Students
An education at NCS is not an end in itself; it is a means employed in the development of character. Students will be held to high ethical and moral standards. Students will be challenged and encouraged to set short and long range goals for their lives. NCS faculty, staff, and host families will give students what is needed, not necessarily what is wanted. The NCS family will love students and expect great things from them.
International Student Profile
Northland Christian School seeks to maintain a balance of international students from a variety of different countries and encourages students to apply for enrollment who are:
- Academically motivated and have proven academic success;
- Emotionally and socially mature;
- Willing to learn a new culture and its values;
- Motivated to be involved in clubs and co-curricular activities.
- NCS is uniquely located in the beautiful northwest suburbs of Houston while conveniently accessible to a wide range of metropolitan cultural experiences.
- Houston has the second largest Vietnamese population in the United States.
- Houston is the fourth largest metropolitan area in the United States.
- Most popular Houston destinations include: NASA/Space Center Houston, Galveston Beach, Houston Museum of Fine Arts, Museum of Natural History, Health Museum, Houston Zoo and Galleria Mall.
- Professional sports teams include: NBA Houston Rockets, MLB Houston Astros, NFL Houston Texans and MLS Houston Dynamo.
- Famous Houstonians include the 41st US President George H. W. Bush, Yao Ming, former US Secretary of State James Baker, Beyonce Knowles, and several US Olympic Champions.
- Rolling application process
- For information regarding our applications process, please select the Admissions tab.
- Students are granted F1 Visas for academic study that begins in August of their acceptance year and continues through high school graduation.
Andy Edgren, Director of International Admissions
CEEB Northland Christian School Code: 443414
|NCS Compared to Other Boarding School||U.S. Board Average||NCS|
|Merit Scholarship Offered||No||Yes|
|Support for Students ESL Classes||No||Yes|
|Number of AP Classes||14||14|
|Percent International Students||18%||10%**|
* taken from boardingschoolreview.com
** NCS intentionally maintains a modest % of international boarding students to insure boarding students experience the benefit of full immersion into Western educational culture and build new relationships.
One-to-One Laptop Program
Northland launched its Anytime Anywhere Learning Program (One-to-One Laptop Program) in 2006. The program enhances learning and teaching with technology and also embeds technology into the core curriculum. Each student in grades 6-12 has access to their own laptop with a comprehensive software package. The program has provided new creative opportunities and truly reoriented the classroom learning experience at Northland Christian School. All students in grades 6-12 participate in the Anytime Anywhere Learning Program by purchasing their own MacBook laptop through NCS.