You are here
Students in grades K-5 attend vocal music classes several times per week with an experienced vocal instructor. NCS believes that a strong music background for all of its students is essential to growing well-rounded children. Music involves science, math, foreign language, history, physical education and art. Most importantly it reveals the glory of our Creator.
Students are exposed to a wide variety of composers and their works. They are taught to read music and to sing both individually and in an ensemble. They are taught basic music theory: note naming, rhythm, pitch, and dynamics. 5th Grade students will learn how to play the recorder.
Two concerts are performed each year.
Students in the upper elementary grades have the opportunity to join the Elementary Honor Choir. The choir meets before school on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 7:40. Students learn to sing in two and three-part harmony. They are taught to read choral scores as well as to identify piano versus vocal lines. Auditions are not required but will be used if necessary. Membership is limited at the discretion of the director. Additional fees apply.
- Participation in the Spring I.S.D. Splashtown Choir Festival (Named Best in Class in 2014)
- Fall and Christmas joint concerts with the Middle School and High School Choir
- Participating in the Aldine ISD Children’s Choir Festival (Named Outstanding Choir in 2011 and 2012)
- Participating in the recording of the Northland Christian School Christmas CD
- Participating in the Goodwill Tours at Christmas where the children sing at various hospitals and nursing homes in the local community
- More advanced than general music class.
- Close two-part harmony and reading choral scores are emphasized.
- The Honor Choir performs on various occasions for community and school functions.
- Practice sessions are before school hours.